Thursday, June 27, 2013

Manna . . .

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1: 2-4


A friend shared that verse with me today; in the midst of her own desert time, she encouraged me.  Another friend, who is in her own period of waiting, has sent notes and messages of things that have lifted her up in this season.  And a friend who just passed through a deep valley of her own lifted my spirits with the same comfort that helped her through her own difficult time.  

For the past five years, I have had the opportunity to sit under the teaching of another friend who believes in the incredible role of suffering, who even prays for it.  She sent me a text on New Years' Day this year, praying for my suffering.  My first reaction was a sarcastic, "Happy New Year's to you, too," but really I am grateful.  I am grateful to have a community who teaches me that suffering is a normal--and sanctifying--part of a life in Christ.  It has prepared me in this time--while we deal with frustration and disappointment--to see difficult times from a perspective of hope, not despair.     

The value of suffering runs throughout the New Testament.   
  • Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-5
  • The Spirit himself bears witness that we are heirs--heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. Romans 8:17  
  • More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. Romans 5: 3-5
  • Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God. 1 Peter 4:1-2
I am especially encouraged by the verses that discuss the value of Christ's suffering, as He clearly did not need it for His own "personal growth" but suffered for a greater good, the restoration of all things and as an example for us when we face trials.
  • For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. Hebrews 2:18
  • So Jesus also suffered outside the gate in order to sanctify the people through his own blood. Therefore, let us go to him outside the cam and bear the reproach he endured.  For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come.  Hebrews 13:12-14
And, then, we see a beautiful picture of God's provision when our suffering is in the midst of His will. While the Israelites wandered in the wilderness to the Promised Land, He provided manna daily, double on the sixth day, so that His people could rest on the seventh.  In Exodus, according to the Lord's instruction, the people put a piece of manna on display to remember His goodness.  They were elated at His provision, as they clearly saw Him care for a large group of people, daily, for years.  Yet, one book of the Bible later, they are begging for meat.  Over time, the Lord's provision had become boring, insufficient and unable to bring them the comfort they desire.    

One reason I believe the Bible is that the followers of God often come across as idiots (and I can be a similar idiot in my faith).  I would think that a self-serving faith would make its followers always obedient, always worshipful of their god.  Why? Because worship and obedience in His provision give Him glory.  My faith in His manna should not make me look good, but should make Him sufficient in all things.  

One of the friends I mentioned above sent this to me this morning.  It is a portion of today's devotional by John Piper--


We do not earn or merit anything by taking refuge in God. Hiding in something makes no contribution to the hiding place. All it does is show that we regard ourselves as helpless and the hiding place as a place of rescue.
The condition we must meet to have this grace is not a meritorious one; it is the condition of desperation and acknowledged weakness and need.
Destitution does not demand or deserve; it pleads for mercy and looks for grace.

I desire to bring unabashed glory to the character and nature of God.  I desire to see His manna--whether through a physical answer to prayer, through the encouragement of a friend, or through the encouragement I find in His Word--as good and perfect.  I desire not to demand or think of which I am entitled, but to trust that what He has provided is enough for my present circumstance.  I desire to be desperate--not for the things the world promises--but for the things He promises to those who believe Him.  I desire to put the "manna" He has provided me on display to show His goodness and not to later tire of it for something better. 

But, it is not in my nature to do that.  My nature wants its own good; it wants comfort; it wants immediate gratification.  So, I am thankful for the Spirit, for the community of saints, and for Christ's example that allow me to move beyond that which is natural, and into that which is eternal and holy and full of promise.   







No comments:

Post a Comment