Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Problem with Pity

Because of a sweet friend who watched my kids Friday morning, I got to spend a full hour in the Word at Starbucks with no interruptions.  What a beautiful gift! We just joined a new homegroup at church, so lately my time in the Word has been following our church's introductory guide for homegroups. And what would be the topic of study today, on my "Hang-out-with-God" treat day? Gospel-Centered Service.  In light of the last few weeks, and the specific prayers I have had, it was definitely a moment of, "Ah, so you're talking to me, God!" I read about Jesus washing the disciples' feet (even those of Judas) and one of the sweetest summaries of the Gospel there is, "For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake, he became poor, so that you, by his poverty, might become rich."  (2 Corinthians 8:9) There is no question that Jesus was physically poor in the Bible. He had no place to lay his head (Luke 9:58). He and His disciples left any livelihood they had to share the Good News. 

Everywhere we look there are people in need.  Just last week, while visiting Dallas, there were panhandlers asking for spare change.  There are those who have now been unemployed for years.  There are single mothers trying to make ends meet.  And, around the world, the poverty can be staggering.  No sanitation, no education, no clean water, no rain.  What appears to be no hope for change in the lives of billions of people.  Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed with pity.  Merriam-Webster defines pity as the "sympathetic sorrow for one's suffering."  When I see others in what appears to be insurmountable need, there is that feeling in the pit of my stomach that kind of makes it turn: pity.  With pity comes shame at all we have and all we take for granted; and guilt at not being able to do more. 

In an effort to understand the feeling, I looked up "pity" in my Bible's Concordance. I was surprised to find that there are only two verses in the Bible that use the word "pity", or some form thereof. In Psalm 90:13, a Psalm of lamenting, the author cries out to God for Him to have pity on His servants, to put an end to their suffering.   The psalmist cried out to God--"Don't you at least see our pain? How long will we have to suffer?" Likewise, I feel pity when I see a problem that I don't have the time, resources or--to be completely honest--motivation to solve.  Pity sees but does not take action, and in this inaction, creates guilt, overwhelm, doubt and insecurity that there is any hope to end a person's, or the world's, suffering.

Then, in what I think is one of the most honest verses of the Bible, Paul says, "If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied." (I Corinthians 15:19) Pity is a feeling that is associated with hopelessness and helplessness.  Without Christ, pity reigns.  There is no hope; there is no relief; there is no light in the darkness. 



In Christ, though, we know that pity--and its accompanying negative feelings--are not of the character and nature of God. When our God sees suffering, he is not filled with helpless, hopeless pity.  He is filled with compassion, the "sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it."  (www.m-w.com)

  • If ever you take your neighbor's cloak in pledge, you shall return it to him before the sun goes down, for that is his only covering, and it is his cload for his body; in what else shall he sleep? And if he cries to me, I will hear, for I am compassionate. (Exodus 22:27)
  • As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear Him. (Psalm 103:13)
  • For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you. (Isaiah 54:10) 
  • He will again have compassion on us; he will tread our iniquities underfoot. (Micah 7:29)
  • (speaking of Jesus): "When he went shore, he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd,"  (Mark 6:34)
  • Yet he being compassionate, atoned for their iniquity and did not destroy them; he restrained his anger often and did not stir up all his wrath. (Psalm 78:38)
  •  . . .and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful.

In fact, he was so compassionate that he saw us in our hopeless state and came, HIMSELF, to alleviate it.  And, that realization shows to me the sin of pity and the beauty of compassion.  As we are transformed more and more into the image of God, we are not called to see suffering and feel hopeless about it.  We are called to believe that the Lord will give us the power, ability and resources to show compassion. 

Lord, Thank you for the compassion you have shown me.  May you allow me to see the compassion in Your character. As I understand the power you grant in Christ, may I also live with a heart of compassion.
 



3 comments:

  1. Kristen, that truly was a great post! One of my hopes for our home group is that we are able to have compassion without judgement for those that need us right here in our own county.

    Also, if you think it would help your adoption situation, I would be willing to write a letter on your behalf. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! It is tough sometimes to show compassion to people who aren't like you, to people who you think are responsible for their own problems, etc. Thanks so much for that perspective.

      And thanks for the offer to write a referral. I hope we are able to get to that point. ;) Praying God will keep the door open.

      Delete
  2. I have never thought of pity that way...thanks for giving me a new perspective!

    ReplyDelete