Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Huge Speed Bump . . .

In continuing with the traffic metaphors used in other posts, we are at a speed bump, if not a stop sign.

The last few weeks have been disappointing at best.  With high hopes of beginning the process to adopt the little boy mentioned in a previous blog, we quickly submitted our application, only to wait two weeks due to "unforeseen circumstances" in the agency's office.  We finally received our approved application and contract--and after raising a few eyebrows over the fees--we had to ask some questions; unfortunately, those questions were never clearly answered.  The Lord has closed the door on adoption from that agency, and there was really a bit of grieving for the little boy that never was.  I believe I will pray for that little boy for many years to come. The Lord knows him, and the Lord hears our prayers. Thank you all for praying for him, and as your hearts are moved for the orphans of the world, maybe the fact that we know him and pray for him, will help shed a light (and hopefully, the Gospel) to his world.

On the same day that I expected to receive some answers from the agency, I received another email with different answers than I had hoped.  To make a long story short, I learned of a group working on the ground in the DRC through a friend's blog.  On a whim, I sent an email to them to see if anyone had opinions on international adoption in the DRC.   The response was timely, and unfortunately, disappointing: Ethical adoption in the DRC--without a trusted contact on the ground--would be extremely difficult, if not "impossible", to achieve.  He did end with a beautiful line, though: "I trust the Lord will grant you success as He is the God of impossible things."



We do not question that ethical adoptions occur, nor do we question that there are many people in the DRC putting the childrens' best interest first, but we do recognize our naivete (and even pride) in thinking that we can sign a contract and write a check and ensure a child would be better off with us than in his/her home country.  And until we can be certain that our adoption would be in a child's best interest, we are going to have to put on the brakes.


We fully trust that the Lord has a plan in this journey.  We are in contact with some amazing ministries in the DRC and look forward to working with them--either through adoption or through aid.  We are checking with domestic agencies to ensure that there are not children available here who would be a good fit for our family.  And we just learned of a ridiculously cool opportunity to grow a church in the Kenya slums (if you would like to know how you could make a HUGE impact on children's lives there and help share Christ, I would love to fill you in). 


Sorry if any of this was vague; we want to be respectful to all parties involved, while explaining our reservations as best as we can.  In the next step, I would love to ask for a few specific prayer requests.  Over the last few months, I have spent a lot of time at the computer, on the phone, doing research.  I have probably not given my own children as much attention as they deserve.  Please pray that I would avert my attention back to loving on them well and waiting for God to act in the adoption (and feel free to hold me accountable here as well).   Also, we obviously pray for direction and for His will to be clear in the next steps.  Finally, I have some longing because I feel our family is incomplete and desperately want Him to expand it through adoption.  I would love prayers that He would grow contentment in our family of four, or that He would provide us another child to love.  We thank you for praying for us and for encouraging us.  We wait eagerly for the God of impossible things!

4 comments:

  1. You are such a wonderful woman, Kristen. I'm sorry things didn't work out. I think it is amazing that you even are willing to adopt. Don't give up, kk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erinn, for your encouragement. At first I was a bit confused about who "e" was, then I saw you called me "kk". :) Love friends who have known you forever (even awkward 7th grade). It has been such a joy to watch you flourish in motherhood too, so right back at ya!

      Delete
  2. He IS the God of impossible things. I've yet to see an international that didn't hit a speed bump or 4. All worked out in HIS perfect timing. Wish I could go into details of their amazing stories. I KNOW that if The Lord has planted this desire to adopt in your heart He WILL complete that work in you. Continuing to lift you & your family up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Thanks, Wendy, for this encouragement. I am looking forward to amazing. Would really settle for "accomplished" but hopeful for amazing. :) Thank you for continuing to pray; I am slowly learning the value and beauty of prayer.

      Delete