Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hope and a Home?

When I first titled this blog, I had no idea what it would mean.  We did not have a child in mind;  we did not even understand the DRC very well;  we just had "hope" that we could give a "home" to one of the world's orphans.  Sixteen months later, we are living that revelation.

Those of you who have read the blog know that the last two months have been heart-wrenching for me. Actually, this is the deepest loss I have felt.  I should probably be grateful for that--I have not yet had to face the loss of a parent, or a sibling, or a spouse, or a child.  So, this is the closest to grief I have ever come.

But, something else has been gnawing at me that has coupled that grief with a great amount of anxiety.  When I left the DRC in July, JP's mother had already told me that she did not have a way to care for him.  JP's uncles had already told me that they did not want to care for him.  And, based on the situation at the time, there was not a way--either legally or ethically--that we could care for him.  So, I left, prayerful; but I was honestly really worried for his safety, future and well-being.

Throughout the last three months, I have held tightly to three prayers:

1)  The Lord would move someone to keep in touch with JP's family, and if there was a need, our family, so that we could provide help and save him from being abandoned to another, and quite possibly, very scary orphanage;

2) The Lord would defend the widow, JP's mother, so that her rights in this situation were well-represented;  and

3) The Lord would protect JP, and if he could not be cared for by his family, provide a place for him to be safe.

Because of a deep urging I felt, which I can only attribute to the Holy Spirit, I had to let go.  I could not make any of these things happen.  If I did, and if things worked out, I would always wonder if it was God's will or my own tenacity.  Knowing that international adoption brings its own share of trauma, I was fearful that any attempt on my own would haunt me and any future relationship I would have with JP.  So, I had to step back and watch steps unfold.

And, then, God started to work.  I'll be honest.  At first, it looked hopeless.  At first, it even looked like we had done more harm than help.  But, slowly God revealed His hand in a mighty way.  Over the next few days, I will share His story of using His people on the other side of the world to answer our deepest prayers. It's a great story: one that, in spite of continued uncertainty, allows me to do nothing but worship.  I hope it does the same for you. Because, in the end, His glory in all things is our greatest treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment