Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Starting Line

Adoption has been something on my mind for many years. When our second child was born, I knew that any additional children would come through adoption. I have thought about adoption often for many years. I have seen children who were adopted, and my heart has gone out to them. I have been softened by the stories of other friends who have adopted. I have mentioned adoption to my husband MANY times (even when we dated, which at the time, I think he hoped the idea would go away). Adoption, however, has not always been something on Philip's mind. He would appease me when I brought it up. He would tell friends, "Maybe someday," when I mentioned it. But, I think he and I never thought it would really happen. He never thought his heart would be turned toward the idea of adoption, and I never thought he would finally say, "Okay." Until it happened. . . On March 4 of this year, a sweet friend (Charelle) sent me a video of an orphanage in Kenya. This orphanage does not "adopt-out" children, as Kenya has closed adoptions to avoid losing the children of its future. As I sat at the computer screen crying for joy at the faces of the orphans who were being loved and cared for, Philip said to me, "Do you really feel called to adopt?" And, I said, "I think so." In that instant, it was done. He said, "Alright, get started. The sooner, the better." And the journey began. Before I share what God does in our lives through this process, I want to clarify some things I do believe-- 1. I do believe that God cares for the orphan and calls us to care for the orphan. (James 1:27) 2. I do believe that adoption is a beautiful Biblical picture of what the Lord does for us, choosing us when we are helpless and then allowing us to share in the full inheritance of His glory. (Galatians 4) 3. Really, I am not sure if we are "called" to adopt, and I think it is a weighty thing to give words to the Lord He has not yet clearly provided. He has given some sweet nuggets of direction that I hope will be encouraging as I share our story. I am certain, without a shadow of a doubt, that he has called us to this journey. And, for that, I am thankful. The end result is in His hands. 4. This, and every instance of my life, iS meant to give glory to God. By writing my thoughts and experiences, I hope to do that better than I may in speech alone. So, we are now praying, as much wisdom and patience will be needed in the months ahead. If you feel so inclined, please pray with us that, above all, His will would be done and His name would be made great.

No comments:

Post a Comment