Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Seeing God in the Bumps . . .

So, this is the week. Our home study is completed, and we are ready to sign an agreement with an agency and make the first big payment. Whew! What an up and down this week has been. For the last month or two, we have been assuming that we would go with the agency that probably has the largest presence in the DR Congo. They are a Christian organization, they have their own orphanage, and the caseworker assigned to the DR Congo is incredible. They travel in groups to the region, and have a full-time staff in the country. They have everything you would hope for, but I just have not been able to sign the documents. One reason I can say is a little boy.  When I first saw his picture two months ago (and this was the set of pictures that broke my heart for the DR Congo), I thought he was the cutest thing. But, we were so far off from having our paperwork done that I never really thought of adopting him. But, now it is time to sign up with an agency and wait for a referral, and he is still waiting (I check back every few days). And, to top it off, two weeks ago, I had a dream that a teenage boy was sitting next to me on the couch (not our couch, not sure where it was), and his name was the name of a little boy on the waiting child website. And, I had this "protective" feeling towards him. I have never been one to have dreams that mean anything (except when I am worried, I do dream that my teeth fall out). Today, I was able to speak with the country coordinator with the little boy's agency, and I learned a few things about him. They actually knew about this little boy, where he had come from, where he was living now. It was so exciting to be talking about a real-life, little boy. So, what's the drawback? First, this agency would cost substantially more. These children are currently living in the rural areas of the DR Congo, and they have to be transported to the capital city. We know money is not a deterrent to God, but in all honesty, it does cause a bit of heartburn for us. Second, this would close the option on a sibling group. While four children has been an overwhelming thought, Kate will be very disappointed not to have a sister. **Although there is a cutie named Sandrine that has captured my heart too. :) So, we invite you to pray with us that God would again show us His will and allow us to have peace with the decision. I ran across this while reading Isaiah the other day (God speaking through Samuel after they sinfully asked for a king), "Do not be afraid; you have done all this evil. Yet do not turn aside from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. And do not turn aside after empty things that cannot profit or deliver, for they are empty. For the Lord will not forsake His people, for His great name's sake, because it has pleased the Lord to make you a people for himself. . .Only fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart. For consider the great things He has done for you." (I Samuel 12:20-23) These verses are so rich. Today I am fully aware: He has done great things, and we pray for the glory of His name, He will be faithful in our journey. There is a little boy or girl on the other side of the world for which He is jealous. May we be the Gospel to that child.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful scripture that God used to speak to you. How faithful is he! I am so excited about this and can't wait to hear more. Praying for Muchanto, financial provision, direction in terms of agency, for his bountiful blessing on your family and that you would be assured of the path he is sending you on. Thank you for sharing this journey with us.

    --The Owens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I just saw Muchanta (apologies for earlier mispelling) on the website and he is precious!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Robin! We are still hoping we are saying his name correctly. And, I covet your prayers. We should get the kids together to play this summer.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! Praying for you guys.

      Delete
  3. I would love to get the kiddos together. Are you doing any VBSes?

    ReplyDelete