Sunday, November 18, 2012

Taking Shape . . .

Friends,

I know I presented a huge fundraising goal of $6300 last week to benefit an orphanage in dire need in the DRC.  I wanted to send out an update and to give details of how a few things have taken shape to make the goal that much more manageable.  (If you did not read the first post about the fundraiser and beneficiaries), I encourage you to check out the post Who's In?)

In an effort to raise school costs for all of the children at the orphanage for the spring term and to purchase 40 bunk beds so the children have a place to sleep, we are raising funds through two different campaigns. You are also welcome to give any amount you feel is appropriate; no amount is too small.  You can do so through www.ourfamilyadoptions.org (click on Donate and in the Specific Item choice, select Other and type "For the Bell Efforts"). Please email me, if you don't mind, so I can stay updated on our progress.

  • "School is Cool!" Campaign:  My daughter Kate came up with the idea for this fundraiser. We are going to sell silicone bracelets that say "School is Cool!".  Graciously, my daughter's elementary school principal and my middle school principal are allowing us to sell these bracelets at their campuses.  Teachers, students, administrators, heads of PTA: this may be a great way for you to help! If you have access to a campus that would allow you to sell bracelets to send a group of children to school, you could help.  Your school will be able to send a check to a 501(c)(3) organization, and my goal is to make the bracelets $1.00.  I think it would be AWESOME for Kate to have an idea and then for her to see it make a difference in the lives of children who would not be able to go to school otherwise.
  • "Buy-a-Bed Campaign":  I am so excited to report--through online donations and a fundraiser held by my sweet church home group--we have raised enough money to purchase 6 beds for the orphanage.  We are almost 1/3 of the way there!  If you have a group that is looking for a way to bless others during the holiday season--or a group of friends that are looking to do something beside a Christmas exchange--I invite you to be part of our "Buy-a-Bed" Campaign.  The cost of a bunk bed is approximately $200.  On an exciting note: I just found out that one family has already been planning to provide fitted sheets and another family is in the process of making quilts, before they even knew we were working to provide the beds.  What a beautiful orchestration of God's plans.
And, I just want to say thank you for reading this all the way through.  I know this is a tough season for giving. I hope these ideas make giving more manageable and allow you to perhaps make memories with friends/family while helping raise funds for these children. I just gave an update to the leaders of Our Family in Africa, and I cannot express the humble gratitude they have for any assistance we can provide.

If you have any ideas or questions, please contact me at kristenabell@gmail.com.

Love,
Kristen




No comments:

Post a Comment