Wednesday, October 24, 2012

On Our Side

So, tomorrow morning, we are headed to Africa.  Neither of us have been there before.  I think we don't really know what to expect, and I am pretty certain we will be both amazed at its beauty and exhausted by its brokenness. 

We aren't going for adventure.  In fact, chances are we will arrive at the airport, take a taxi and see little but the inside of our hotel, an orphanage and a church during the short two-day trip. But, we will go to meet a little boy, who will hopefully change our family as much as we will change his.

We will spend several days of vacation, several thousands of dollars and probably some moments of being extremely uncomfortable because the Lord has said, "Go!"  We are not to be praised for these actions.  I think if you asked Philip, he would agree that we have been powerless to say no.  The desire the Lord has put in our hearts to take this journey is stronger than our desire for comfort and safety.

But, I am reminded of a similar journey 2,000 years ago, where the Father told his Son to "Go!" and He did.  For me. and For you.  For this world that was broken and abandoned.  He forfeited power, wealth and comfort to bring us Home.  And just like our little one will be a citizen of the United States because of our trip, Jesus' incomprehensible trip--where he took the form of a man to die in our place--gives us a much greater citizenship:  that of the eternal presence of God.

This morning, when I was struggling with a bit with nerves and feelings of overwhelm, I turned on some sweet CDs my friend made me a few years ago.  I finish with the words of the first song I heard ("You Are On Our Side" by Bethany Dillon). 

The orphan clings to Your hand,
Singing a song of how he was found.

The widow rejoices,
For her oppressors are silenced now.

You sit at the table with the wounded and the poor,
You laugh and share stories with the thief and the whore.
When you could just stay silent and leave us here to die,
Still you sent your Son for us. You are on our side.

God is so good! He went to much greater lengths to adopt us, and for that, I praise and trust Him.  If He did not spare His own Son, if He laid down His life for me, if He pursued me . . . how can I ever doubt His love and provision for me?  He came so that we may have LIFE and have it abundantly. Filled to the brim with thankfulness that we get to tangibly see this PROMISE as we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment